Finally! After a long, cold few months, the days are getting longer, gardens are turning green again and the weather is starting to warm up. It’s safe to say that spring has officially sprung!
During winter, we crave rich, hot foods that will warm us up from the inside and give us the energy to stay warm. However, when the weather warms up, our palettes turn to lighter, more refreshing foods. We find ourselves craving fresh crunchy veggies, sweet juicy fruit and colourful salads instead of soups, stews and casseroles.
We chose two of our favourite spring recipes for you to satisfy your fresh food cravings – and the best part is that all the ingredients are available at your nearest SPAR: all fresh, affordable and just waiting for you to take them home.
Summer Pasta Salad
Light and refreshing, this salad is perfect for an easy light dinner, a filling lunch or to impress guests.
Difficulty level: Easy
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 250 g farfalle pasta (bow ties)
- 1 punnet fresh asparagus tips
- 2 large baby marrows
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 jar or can marinated artichokes
- ½ punnet of sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 punnet fresh shelled peas
- A large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- A pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop it cooking.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes until bright green. Drain and shock in iced water to stop it cooking.
- Use a potato peeler to cut the baby marrows into thin long strips.
- Half or quarter the tomatoes according to their size.
- Drain and cut the artichokes into chunks.
- Finely chop half of the parsley.
- Whisk together the chopped parsley, zest and juice, vinegar, salt and olive oil.
- Combine the pasta and vegetables in a serving bowl. Drizzle with the orange dressing. Light toss through and garnish with the remaining fresh flat-leaf parsley.
For a fresh take on wraps, make them with rice paper for a see-through snack that will leave your mouth watering for more.
Difficulty: Super easy
Prep time: 15 minutes
- ½ pack SPAR Freshline Sweet Baby Spinach (40 g)
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced into matchstick strips (red, yellow, green or orange)
- 2 medium SPAR Freshline carrots, grated
- 2 SPAR Freshline Ripe&Ready Hass Avocado pears, cubed finely
- 100 g pack of rice paper wraps
- 125 ml SPAR Creamy Mayonnaise mixed with 10 ml basil pesto
- 2 rounds SPAR Herb flavoured feta cheese
- Prepare all the vegetables and have them at hand.
- Briefly dip each round of rice paper, one at a time into a shallow dish of warm water. Lift away and lay them flat in rows on a clean dish towel. Pat them briefly with the towel to lift off excess water.
- Scatter a little of each salad vegetable down the centre of each wrap, and end off with a drizzle of basil mayonnaise and a light crumbling of feta cheese.
- Roll or fold depending on how you would like to serve these wraps, and preferably enjoy immediately.
Hints & Tips
- To use these filled wraps a little later after preparation, cover them firmly with cling film and refrigerate.
- A shallow tart plate works well as a soaking dish to fit the size of the wrap.