As we head into the end of 2019, we are reflecting on the year that has gone by and the numerous projects that SPAR Botswana has had the opportunity to be a part of. In this instalment – community involvement!
The SPAR brand has become synonymous with community – that is because SPAR believes in being a vehicle for positive change and growth in the communities in which our stores operate. Over the past year, SPAR stores across the country have been donating funds, materials and time to the people in their immediate communities who desperately need help with their homes and caring for their families!
Let’s take a moment to celebrate the SPAR stores that are doing their part for the community:
- Letlhakane SPAR: We allocated P10000 to Letlhakane SPAR for their community project. Their amazing staff then took the initiative to raise a further P2577 from in-store events and competitions. Letlhakane SPAR was able to fence Mrs Ditshotano Kobae’s premises and installed a water tap for this destitute woman. They delivered all the materials and the staff worked on the project themselves.
- Mahalapye SPAR: Sponsored the completion of the Mothers Union Vegetable Garden Project. All produce is grown on site and used in the Mothers Union kitchen. Any excess produce is sold back to Mahalapye SPAR for a profit providing them with further financial support.
- Mochudi SPAR: Mochudi SPAR found out about a family of ten living in a one roomed house in Boseja ward and wanted to help. The guardian of the family is a young woman who is unemployed in her mid-thirties. She takes care of all the children. The family are living in a single room which is not fully finished, leaks in rainwater and was in urgent need of a renovation. Thanks to Mochudi SPAR, another room has been added to the house.
- Phakalane SPAR: Mr Mmense Mokgadi was on the verge of being homeless, staying a broken down thatched hut. Land was allocated to him and SPAR wanted to build him a room. Phakalane SPAR put up P17 000 for his room to be built near Oodi.
- Safari SPAR: Safari SPAR donated mattresses, tables and chairs, cooking equipment, cutlery and crockery to Motse Wa Kgalalelo in Maun for all the orphans who live around that area and go to Motse Wa Kgalalelo for a daily meal.
- Tutume SPAR: Tutume SPAR donated P19 125,50 to Mrs Sany’s house renovation and vegetable garden. A family of four stay in Mrs Sane’s shack in Tutume. She is a grandmother looking after three grandchildren whose mother is deceased. A room was built for the family and SPAR also helped her to establish a vegetable garden.
- SPAR Botswana Head Office: The Kgatleng District Council identified a family in Mokatse in desperate need of housing. The family comprises of a single mother with 5 children and 3 grandchildren. The mother is the sole provider of the family and is working as a farm labourer. Her monthly salary is less than P1000. At the request of Mokatse Village and on behalf of Village Child Protection Committee, SPAR Botswana donated P40 000 to build a two bedroom house for the family.
As always, our thanks go out to you – the valued SPAR customers who make all of this possible! If you would like to get involved in SPAR community projects, visit the Contact Us Page and get in touch!